Fashion is slowly becoming a globally accepted profession and many people are turning their love for fashion into profitable professions. The number of people who have the desire of becoming fashion creators is increasing day by day, and the same goes for fashion stylists. But, before we get to the actual how, let’s go through how exactly does this profession work and how much dedication you need to put in to become a fashion stylist.
You, as a fashion artiste, need to evaluate specific physical attributes, standards of living and the fashion sense for the person you are going to “style up”, and then use this information to make the right fashion choices for that person. You simply help them attain the image they have in their mind. So, as you get familiar with their desires, goals, requests, and budget, you will be able to pinpoint the right shops to visit.
Also, one of your deeds as a fashion stylist is to find the right merchandise, and you need to do it perfectly so that your customers do not run around from shop to shop. You need to be able to fetch the best look and style for them.
But, the demand for fashion stylists is big, and finding work can be quite hard. You need a lot of determination, concentration and hard work to gain employment in this field of fashion. So, let’s see what skills you need to possess so that you can become a successful fashion stylist.
You Need To Have a Passion for Fashion
To make progress in your journey, you simply cannot move ahead without the right dose of passion for fashion. As a matter of fact, this is the most important thing when becoming a fashion stylist. If you have a keen eye for fashion trends and updates, you are on the right path. You need to consistently look for any emerging fashion trends and labels as well, so you have to watch some of the renowned fashion shows and by follow some major fashion websites. These can be an amazing source of info for you.
You Need To Be Professionally Trained
If you want to have a fruitful career, professional training is something that is a must, and it will help you improve your credibility. Besides this, you will also have a lot of knowledge about the fashion industry as a whole, and how it all moves with the latest trends.
A proper course will help you learn the basics and essentials of fashion, its history, progressions and trends, together with the importance of color, props, sourcing locations and outfits, which will make you extensively aware of this profession. Nowadays, there are numerous certified courses available both in classrooms and online, so you do not have to worry because there is a whole procedure that will help you become a specialized fashion stylist.
Make Sure To Get Enough Experience
The thing that speaks for you the most is your experience, so try to find an internship with an already established stylist as an assistant, or with a fashion magazine. If you want to be successful in your career as a fashion stylist, this is an option you should not overlook.
By being an assistant, you will be able to learn a lot about the job itself, because assistants usually take on a lot of different responsibilities. For instance, in magazines, they are involved in managing shopping articles, helping out when selecting printing options and they even prepare clients for different fashion projects. Getting this kind of experience can only bring benefits to your career.
Work On Growing Your Interpersonal Skills
When it comes to dealing with different types of clients, good interpersonal skills and flexibility are something that is vital. Fashion designers cannot work without software for fashion designers, and you as a fashion stylist need to have a sense of responsibility, a sense of humor, the ability to work with deadlines, creativity, a positive attitude, motivation and you have to be able to work under pressure.
These are all qualities you must possess, so that you can create a shiny career in fashion. Make sure to keep yourself open to learning more, because this is something that is considered a must in your quest towards becoming a fashion stylist.
Other Characteristic and Manners That Are Useful
Besides growing your interpersonal skills, there are also some mannerisms and characteristics that can help you become a good fashion stylist. Having a natural talent for the imaginative and indigenous is something that will help you move forward in your career, a good aptitude for fashion and supplies, and perhaps the most important thing, the ability to set trends, not just following them.
To be successful in this profession, you need to have a good eye for shades and how to blend and mix different shades and patterns. Do not forget about your style, because you need to show your customers what you are able to do for them. And, last but not the least, if you want to succeed as a fashion stylist, you have to be able to work under pressure.
Options For Your Specialization
Selecting your specialization is perhaps one of the most important decisions to make if you want to move forward in this profession. After all, you are the one who wants to become a fashion stylist and you need to decide what is best for you.
A fashion stylist is actually a broad term; there are a lot of specialties that may confuse you, but you need to be stern enough for the specific role you want to enter. There are several options you can go for and they are:
- Personal Stylist– Personal stylists are people who work with clients on a one-on-one basis, and they recommend their own fashion styles. The clients are usually renowned personalities, and in most cases, people of the upper class who are concerned how the public sees them and their taste in fashion. This is why they need a stylist to rely on, so that they always have the perfect look at all times.
- Editorial Stylist– An editorial stylist is responsible for assembling and supervising photo shoots for online journals and magazines. This also includes fashioning a walk-in wardrobe of clothes and making adjustments to the models if necessary.
- Commercial Stylist– This is a role that will be designating you, or better, justifying you as a fashion stylist in the spotlight, or in the eye of the public. You will be known for day-to-day clothing tips, TV appearances, fashion shoots and other similar events.
- Catalog Stylist – This type of fashion stylist works in various cataloging corporations and industries. Their job is to supply and assemble the clothing line for their catalog models. Some even get the chance to work with other clothing companies. This is a role where you always need to keep your eye on the details and bring out the best in fashion.
- Photographic Stylist – Fashioning a look for a photo shoot is very different than fashioning a catwalk or an event. In many cases, you will be needing some photographic skills, and if you want to be a photographic stylist, you need to understand what the camera wants and how it works.
To be a successful fashion stylist, you need to keep a keen eye out for the latest fashion trends and news 24/7, because this will help you become confident and perform your job perfectly. If you are able to do all the things we have listed above and if you follow them dedicatedly, we are sure that your career will be successful and that the supreme day of your blooming success will not be that far.
So, if you are really passionate for fashion, start working on building your career as a fashion stylist even today and turn your love for fashion into a very lucrative business.